Digital Alloys Inc., a provider of high-speed, low-cost multi-metal additive manufacturing systems, announced seven additions to its Board of Directors and Board of Advisors.
Joining the team are:
- Jim Baum, previously CEO at Netezza and Endeca and EVP/GM at PTC
- MIT Professor Thomas Eagar, authority on welding and joining processes
- MIT Professor David Hardt, expert in system dynamics, control and manufacturing
- Kevin McCarthy, CTO of Dover Motion, a leading provider of precision motion systems
- MIT Professor Donald Sadoway, renowned metallurgist
- MIT Professor Alexander Slocum, authority on the design of precision machines
- Dr. Yahali Theodor, CTO at Digital Feedback Technologies and expert in control system design
Several of the new additions expressed their belief in Digital Alloys as a core reason for joining the boards. “Digital Alloys’ ability to mix multiple metals in a single solid part will unlock a new world of product designs that optimize mechanical, electrical, thermal, and magnetic properties like never before,” said Prof. Alex Slocum.
“Digital Alloys has the first 3D printing approach I’ve seen that can compete economically with conventional manufacturing,” said Jim Baum. “The underlying process, which is similar to welding, is robust and repeatable, and will produce production quality parts with the probability of a ten-fold increase in deposition rate,” added Professor Thomas Eagar.
“We sought to recruit a team of experts in the areas of technology and business required to make Digital Alloys a success,” said Duncan McCallum, CEO of Digital Alloys. “I am extremely happy with the incredible people we were able to attract. We have assembled a brain trust that positions us well for success.”
Digital Alloys develops high-speed, multi-metal additive manufacturing systems that print production quality parts, in almost any metal, at a fraction of the cost of other systems, making metal 3D metal printing economical for a greatly expanded mix of applications. Digital Alloys metal 3D printers have the unique ability to mix multiple metals in a solid part, enabling customers to push the limits of design and create new products with optimized thermal, electrical, magnetic, and mechanical properties. The company is led by an experienced management team, and backed by Khosla Ventures.